Though VMware did not formally announce vSphere 6 they did announce the beta release. Here are some of the features teased in this upcoming release.
- Fault Tolerance in vSphere 6 will support 4 vCPUs;
- vMotion over 100ms round trips, which means vMotion over long distances.
- Using VMware NSX, network properties will now be vMotioned as well when using long distance vMotion.
- vSAN 2.0
- Virtual Volumes (vVols)
The Reg also mentions the following new inclusions in the release candidate:
- Support for Free BSD 10.0 and Asianux 4SP3 as guests;
- VMs will scale to 128 vCPUs and 4TB vRAM;
- Support for hosts running 480 physical CPUs, 12TB RAM and 64TB of storage;
- Service level management for storage I/O, with controls for each VM, and the same for Network I/O thanks to distributed vSwitch bandwidth reservations;
There are more details in the upcoming release here. I cannot wait to see what really comes out when VMware finally puts out the latest greatest version of their flagship software.