There are six categories most data science tools fall into. I have done some research into a few of the popular ones within each category of third-party tools. I tried to simply describe what the deliverable of the tool is, and a simply define a characteristic of it (how it works or what sets it apart from other tools).
Data Collection Tools
- SurveyMonkey allows organizations to survey a broad range of people regardless of geography and integrates with SPSS.
- SurveyMonkey allows users to customize your survey for different people and define their target audience
- Forms will help pick the style of your form to make it unique depending on your style (as a user) and offers mobile support to allow surveys to be accessed anywhere.
- It is integrated with your google account so it integrates with gmail or google docs to make for a quick and seamless experience.
Data Storage Tools
- The VNX offers for SAN and NAS connectivity to hold multiple types of data.
- The VNX offers multiple different drive types (ie. Flash, SAS, NL-SAS) to automatically tier blocks of data to the optimal storage media to meet its performance and capacity needs.
- SQL Server 2014 offers both OLTP and data warehousing data storage for both on premise as well as the cloud.
- SQL Server 2014 offers in-memory database functionality for features like transactions and SQL queries for high performance OLTP workloads
Data Security Tools
- Enterprise Reporter is an auditing solution for Active Directory, Windows file servers, and SQL servers.
- Enterprise Reporter offers real-time assessments into who has access to a company’s data, to ensure security and compliance.
- RSA Archer is part of an enterprise GRC (governance, risk, and compliance) product portfolio sold and licensed as modules: audit, policy, risk, compliance, enterprise, incident, vendor, threat, and business continuity management.
- Archer creates a common set of capabilities and methodologies for a company’s risk and compliance program.
Data Mining Tools
- The wizard helps you choose a data source and set up a data source view that defines the data to be used for analysis, and then helps you create an initial model.
- The wizard plugs directly into SQL server to examine the uniqueness and distribution of values.
- R is made up of a few different software suites for data manipulation, calculation, and graphical display.
- R offers many different types of statistical and graphical techniques that can data mine programs stored in script files.
Data Analysis Tools
- MATLAB allows users to build analytics to provide predictive maintenance and telematics.
- MATLAB can explore data from databases, Hadoop, web content, etc and is even supported to be deployed in the cloud (like AWS).
- Hunk provides a single, Hadoop integrated designed to provide value and insights from big data in Hadoop.
- Hunk can scan Petabytes of data in Hadoop in place, to detect patterns and find anomalies.
Data Reporting Tools
- Splunk allows users to easily search, analyze and visualize massive amounts of machine data generated by IT infrastructure (physical, virtual, or even in the cloud).
- Users can create custom dashboards and views to see results of analytics for your Hadoop environment.
- Jaspersoft reporting software takes information from almost any data source (like Hadoop, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.) and presents it in an easily understandable, interactive format for business users.
- Reports are easily formatted, filtered, sorted, and restructured to create your own custom report available on any platform (Android, Windows, etc.).